Yes, the mascot are back with a vengeance. Every mascot program is constantly fine tuning and re-imagine their mascot program.
Our job here, at the National Mascot Association, is to encourage strong mascot programs by:
- Understanding your mascot’s back story – what was the mascot’s origin story? If you don’t have one – make something up.
- It’s a mascot – it can be a wild, yet sweet story like Gritty’s. It can be a tender story like Regi the Fox
- All mascots have big hearts. What causes does the mascot support? What community event will they attend?
- When the mascot becomes part of the fabric of the community – whatever that community is — be it real life or online —that’s when the magic happens.
- Get your performer some training. Saying, “Just go out and have fun” might not be enough. Having planned skits will keep people coming back.
- If you want a great evening of entertainment, check out the Inductees into the Mascot Hall of Fame and watch their online presences – you’ll have a blast! These are the pros. You can learn a lot about the strength of a sturdy mascot program just by watching them.
- Put together some mascot best practices
- How long should the mascot perform?
- Does the mascot have a handler? A spotter? How many handlers and spotters does the mascot performer need?
- Is there a secure place for the mascot perfomer to change into or take off the mascot costume?
The big vision and the small details are what makes it all happen!
©Jennifer Smith 2021
Leave a Reply